The best steering wheel cover offers you a firm grip and a comfortable fit for your hands. Plus, it is an inexpensive way to upgrade your car’s interior.
For instance, if your steering wheel is old, faded, or blemished, you can spruce it up with a new steering wheel cover in a style or color that reflects your personal style.
More importantly, a quality steering wheel cover will improve your driving experience. Often times, your steering wheel gets too hot or cold due to weather changes. Or it could get slippery if your palms sweat a little when driving, which may cause you to lose control of your car. Your cover should be safe and comfortable to use.
In this article, we have put together our top picks of the best steering wheel covers on the market. Also, the buying guide down below tackles some FAQ, such as what steering wheel cover size to buy, and how to install a steering wheel cover.
Check out quick info of the best steering wheel covers, then scroll down for more helpful buying information and full reviews.
- Best Steering Wheel Cover Review
- 1. SEG Direct Leather Steering Wheel Cover – Top Pick
- 2. Valleycomfy Leather Steering Wheel Cover
- 3. Rueesh Microfiber Leather Steering Wheel Cover
- 4. Motor Trend GripDrive Pro Synthetic Leather Steering Wheel Cover
- 5. Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel Cover – Premium Pick
- 6. Sino Banyan Crystal Steering Wheel Cover
- 7. Bokin Microfiber Leather Steering Wheel Cover
- 8. BDK Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover
- 9. Plasticolor Jeep Steering Wheel Cover
- 10. Mayco Bell Car Steering Wheel Cover
- Best Steering Wheel Covers Buying Guide
Best Steering Wheel Cover Review
1. SEG Direct Leather Steering Wheel Cover – Top Pick
Our top pick is this synthetic leather steering wheel wrap that has a universal fit. It gives your car a good, luxurious look.
Made from smooth and absorbent microfiber leather, this cover feels soft and comfortable in your hands. The material is heat and cold resistant, making it ideal for all seasons. Also, it gives a firm grip and is not slippery even if your palms sweat a little.
Besides, the inside lining of the cover is a skid-proof rubber material that grips the steering wheel and keeps the cover in place. A universal fit, this model is ideal for most medium-sized cars and models.
Overall, this is the best quality steering wheel cover on our list and comes highly recommended by both users and reviewers.
- Comes in multiple colors
- Made from microfiber leather
- Skid-proof rubber lining
PROS/ Good value for money| Durable micro-fibre leather used | Padded for a comfortable grip
CONS/ Synthetic leather does not last as long as genuine leather
2. Valleycomfy Leather Steering Wheel Cover
This genuine leather steering wheel cover is one of the more premium models on the list. Stylish and durable, it delivers a firm grip on your steering wheel while complementing your car’s interior.
Additionally, the material is soft and padded to keep your hands comfortable while driving. And, the interior lining is made of skid-proof rubber for a stable grip. This steering wheel wrap can fit any 14.5-15.5 inches steering wheels and is available in many color accents to match your preferences.
Valleycomfy large steering wheel cover, which fits steering wheels of up to 15.75” is suitable for most trucks, larger luxury cars, and SUVs.
- Genuine leather
- Skidproof lining
- Fits 14.5″ to 15.25″ steering wheels
- Available in various colors
PROS/ Good quality sewing | Embossed design makes it breathable
CONS/ Genuine leather material makes it pricier than others on the list
3. Rueesh Microfiber Leather Steering Wheel Cover
For its price, the Rueesh steering wheel cover delivers excellent value for your money. It is made from high-quality microfiber leather that is soft and breathable to keep your hands comfortable.
What stands out in this steering wheel wrap is its anti-slip and embossed finish that prevents your grip from slipping while also massaging your palms as you drive.
Add a two-year warranty to these offerings and this model wins on best value.
- Fits 15-inch diameter steering wheels
- Has anti-slip matte finish for a firm grip
- Durable high-quality microfibre leather
- Has a two-year warranty
PROS/ Stylish look | Breathable, cold-resistant microfibre leather
CONS/ New leather odor | Available in black color only
4. Motor Trend GripDrive Pro Synthetic Leather Steering Wheel Cover
The GripDrive Pro synthetic leather steering wheel cover from Motor Trend is a stylish and inexpensive option for the smaller 13.5″ – 14.5 steering wheels.
This unit is easy to install and has a nice stitching pattern that gives off a clean and classy look. Also, the model’s breathable material offers a non-slip grip in the heat. On top of that, it is an odor-free steering wheel cover, unlike some that emit a new leather smell.
- Fits 13.5-4.5-inch diameter steering wheels
- Made from synthetic leather
- Elegant and secure stitching finish
PROS/ Inexpensive | Breathable anti-slip material
CONS/ Small fit only
5. Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel Cover – Premium Pick
If you’re looking for a slim, luxurious, high-quality wheel wrap, then the Wheelskin is it.
This universal-size genuine leather steering wheel cover adds class to any car when properly installed. Plus, you can select any of the 15 different colors to complement your car’s interior.
Made in California, the durable cowhide-skin cover is handcrafted and comes with patented lacing holes, which is how you reinforce the cover to the steering wheel.
Overall, this cover wrap is a good, albeit slightly expensive option for customizing and upgrading any 14.5 – 15.5-inch steering wheel.
- Made from genuine cowhide leather
- Has lacing holes to reinforce the cover
- Available in multiple colors
PROS/ Luxurious and classy look | Universal fit
CONS/ Genuine leather material means it is more expensive than rubber or synthetic leather covers
6. Sino Banyan Crystal Steering Wheel Cover
You can bring a bit of bling into your car with these bejeweled Sino Banyan steering wheel covers. But, don’t let the glitter fool you – this wheel wrap is made of high-quality PU leather that offers a firm grip of your steering wheel. And, the rhinestone material has a great feel – like a massage on the palms.
Designed for 14.5-15-inch diameter steering wheels, this fancy steering wheel cover is perfect for motorists who like to stand out. It comes with extra stones and glue for you to replace any that fall off.
- Variety of color and materials to choose from
- Standard size is 14.5-15 inch in diameter but can go up to 16.2 inches
- Made from PU leather
PROS/ Offers a good grip and reduces driving fatigue | Glamorous look
CONS/ The stones may fall off over time. They are replaceable
7. Bokin Microfiber Leather Steering Wheel Cover
This Bokin steering wheel cover offers both a comfortable grip and an attractive design. Made from microfiber leather and viscose material, the steering cover is soft and breathable. So, your grip will be comfortable.
Also, the Bokin steering wheel wrap remains cool despite weather changes. Should your hands sweat while you are driving, the absorbent microfibre material ensures your hands do not slip. Plus, many find the Bokin cover more stylish compared to other covers.
- Fits 14.5-15-inch steering wheels
- 18-month warranty
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Available in multiple colors
- Made from microfiber leather and viscose (a semi-synthetic fiber)
PROS/ Good value for money | Odorless
CONS/ Embossed finish may rub uncomfortably on the palms | Due to the padding, could be too bulky for smaller hands
8. BDK Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover
This 100% genuine leather steering wheel cover promises a strong grip, thanks to its unique grooved design for that extra control of your wheel.
The double-stitched leather cover is durable and adds a touch of elegance to your cabin. Designed for 14.5 to 15-inch wheels, it is perfect as Jeep steering wheel covers or Honda steering wheel covers.
Overall, the BDK is a great quality leather cover for a good price
- Genuine leather material
- Fits 14.5 to 15-inch steering wheels
- Grooved design for a firmer grip.
PROS/ Durable/Heat resistant/ Odorless
CONS/ A little stiff
9. Plasticolor Jeep Steering Wheel Cover
If you are looking for a comfortable, fashionable Jeep steering wheel cover, the Plasticolor wrap is a good option. This easy-to-fit model is made from durable materials that you can clean with soap and water.
Another thing is that the Plasticolour steering wheel, which has molded-in colors, does not discolor even if it is exposed to sunlight for long periods.
Overall, Jeep enthusiasts will enjoy this officially-licensed Jeep steering wheel cover that is also quite affordable.
- Specific to Jeeps steering wheels
- Super easy to install
- Made from rubber
- Provides a firm and comfortable grip
PROS/ Durable and inexpensive
CONS/ Specific to Jeeps | Rubber material not breathable or absorbent
10. Mayco Bell Car Steering Wheel Cover
This is a great looking cover with a comfortable but firm grip for your safety while driving.
To start with, the Mayco Bell is made of soft and breathable microfibre leather. Meaning you can drive for long periods without wearing down your hands. And, the material is absorbent and so you don’t have to worry about sweaty hands while driving.
Besides, the Mayco Bell wrap’s universal fit makes it perfect as a Honda steering wheel cover, Toyota steering wheel cover, or even BMW steering wheel cover.
- Fits 14.5 to 15-inch steering wheels
- Multiple color options
- Made from microfiber leather
PROS/ Firm grip due to anti-skip veins | Comfortable grip
CONS/ Thick padding- may become too big for small hands
Best Steering Wheel Covers Buying Guide
When it comes down to making a buying decision, which wheel cover best suits your needs and budget? In this buying guide, we have listed down important factors that you should consider when buying a steering wheel cover. Read on to see which features are a must-have, and which can be sacrificed to save a coin.
What To Consider When Buying a Steering Wheel Cover
i. The Steering Wheel Cover Material
- Leather covers: These add a certain luxury to your car but are more expensive. The material provides a good grip and is breathable and absorbent, a quality that makes them anti-slip. Further, genuine leather is durable and weather resistant. However, genuine leather products do require extra special care. Besides, your color choices are rather limited.
- Synthetic leather covers: These include the microfiber leather and PU leather. They mirror qualities of genuine leather covers, although they are not as durable and are less expensive. One advantage is that they have a wider range of color options so you can use them to complement your cabin upholstery.
- Rubber covers: These are the easiest to install, and fit snugly on your steering wheel and provide a good grip for your hands too. And, they are resistant to weather changes and exposure to elements. They are also easy to clean. However, they are not as breathable or absorbent as the genuine leather and synthetic leather covers and so lack the anti-slip quality.
Overall, it is a good idea to buy weather-resistant and non-slip steering wheel wrap. Some covers have an inner rubber lining to better grip the steering wheel for added stability, so that’s something to consider too.
ii. Warranty period
A warranty may not be a priority if you are buying an inexpensive steering wheel cover. However, if you invest in a premium option, you want to have the option of a free replacement or money-back guarantee.
iii. The size of your steering wheel
Wheel cover sizes range from small, medium to large based on the diameter of your steering wheel. Getting the right size is important for ease of installation, grip, and durability. Most cars have a small to medium fit (14-15 inch) while larger vehicles trucks have a large fit (16 plus inches).
How to Measure the Size of Steering Wheel Cover
- How to measure the diameter of a steering wheel cover
Stretch a tape measure from one far end of the steering wheel to the other (between 14-17.5 inches)
- How to measure the grip of a steering wheel cover
Wrap the tape measure around the steering wheel cover to determine its thickness (between 2 inches -4.5 inches thick)
New steering wheel covers can be hard to install, mainly because they are meant to be snugly fit on your steering wheel. To make it pliable, you may heat it up with a hairdryer. Or you can leave it out in the sun for a while before putting it on.
Fitting a Wheelskins takes a bit of patience but the results are stunning. It is a good idea to use gloves when using a leather needle to thread the laces through the eyelets. Also, it is recommended that you wax the lacing to make the sewing easier. Be sure to reinforce the laces for a snug fit.
A simple wipe down using warm soapy water and a soft cloth will do. You can machine wash your fabric or cloth steering wheel covers. To clean genuine and synthetic leather steering wheel covers, use quality leather cleaner and conditioners. Check out our how-to article here.
Hopefully, this steering wheel cover review has helped you learn the features that are a must-have for you. Any of these top-rated steering wheel covers are a solid pick, so go ahead and select the perfect fit for you.